Sunday, January 15, 2012

Meet the Author... Pepper Anthony



I'm thrilled to welcome my fellow Beachwalk Press author Pepper Anthony to the blog today.

*** 

What motivates Pepper Anthony, the author? Why do you write?

Wow, what a question! I write because I can’t not write. Sure, there have been periods of time when I had to put my literary aspirations aside, but I have always at least kept a journal, or written newsletters or short stories. I am drawn to the page. It’s really that simple. I bet most serious writers can identity with that.

When did you know you were a writer? Was it always your destiny or did you stumble upon your craft by accident?

 Writing is my destiny for sure. At about the age of four my father read the classic Black Beauty to me. I remember asking him how a horse could write a book, and he explained that someone had imagined what a horse would write about. I was enthralled with that idea – that someone can just write down whatever they wish to imagine – and it wasn’t long before I learned to read and then write my own little stories and poems. .

What is your favorite genre to write and why?

 I’d have to say that straight contemporary romance is my favorite, the steamier the better. Present-day settings and circumstances help me identify with my characters and their issues. Right now I’m exploring the “interracial” niche of contemporary erotic romance. I enjoy adding in that extra layer of possible conflict that the characters have to work through.

Is there a certain aspect of the story you begin with? Do you create the characters first or do you come up with the plot?

  Usually an idea will just hit me and I’ll start with “What if – “.  Ideas for stories are everywhere! Once the kernel of an idea occurs to me, I create the characters, their back stories and their main conflict. Then I let them loose to “play together”. I’m always fascinated at the plots my characters come up with.

Tell us about the most intriguing character you've created.

 Last year I wrote a short BDSM story for an anthology. The main character is a storyteller in a make believe time and place. Her job is to entertain a depraved old queen with her BDSM tales, in hopes of winning her freedom.  I’m very interested in going back and exploring both those characters more in depth. I’m sure the story teller has several more twisted tales that naughty Queen is waiting to hear.

What did you do when you found out your first book had been contracted?

 My first piece of contracted writing was an 8K short for an anthology of ménage stories. I just about passed out when I opened that email and saw the contract attached. That’s a rush I never get tired of.

Has there been a person or influence in your life that has helped you reach your writing goals?

  I can’t say enough good things about my two critique partners, Amy Lamont and Kaylie Newell. Not only are they great at pointing out (in a kind and constructive way) where my stories need help, but they are wonderful, supportive friends as well. I’ve faced some pretty tough personal challenges this past year, and I hate to think about trying to make it through without them. My family is also very supportive.

Do you have any words of inspiration to aspiring authors? What advice would you offer a writer trying to publish?

 The most important thing is to never give up on your dream. Take time off if you have to, but don’t give up. When my second child was diagnosed as a toddler with a form of autism, I had to come to terms with the fact that there would be no time and energy left for my writing. He needed my full attention for many years, including years of homeschooling. Now he is grown and I’ve gotten back to writing. It’s never too late to pick up where you left off. Just don’t let go of that dream.


Tell us about your current release.  



Macy’s Awakening, published by Beachwalk press.

Can Macy and Jerrod overcome the differences in their age and race to find lasting love?

On Macy Wilson's first grown-up adventure to the big city, she inadvertently ends up in jail. Her father hires an old college friend, defense attorney Jerrod Preston, to get Macy out of trouble. Jerrod is more than willing to help out his buddy by representing the gorgeous young black woman, but finds he must first battle his intense attraction to her, especially when the judge puts Macy under his protective custody.
Still an innocent at the age of nineteen, Macy ignores the differences in their age and race and sees the opportunity to learn all about sex from the handsome older man. On her second night in his home, a naked midnight rendezvous at the hot tub proves too powerful for either to resist, and Macy is awakened to pleasure like nothing she could have imagined.

But the morning brings feelings of remorse on both their parts. Macy knows her father wouldn't approve, and Jerrod is convinced Macy should be with someone closer to her own age. They settle into an uneasy platonic relationship, both secretly longing for the love that now seems just beyond their grasp.

Then an unforeseen circumstance raises the stakes, and Macy must make the toughest decision of her life. When she lays claim to the man she can't forget, will Jerrod send her away, or dare to open his heart to love once more?

Content Warning: explicit sex



Do you have any upcoming projects in the works?


  I’m currently working on another IR, the story of an embittered, widowed architect and the young woman who comes to help organize his home. The working title is Delsy’s Chance.


Where can readers connect with you?



A little bit about Pepper...

 Like most writers, I’ve done a lot of other things along the way—voice actor, artist, bookkeeper, retail sales—but my first, best love has always been writing. Now I’m working toward making that my full time career. I live in a rural area outside Portland, Oregon with my very supportive husband and younger son, and a small menagerie of furry writing assistants. A firm believer in the Law of Attraction, I like to remind my friends: we create in our lives that which we focus most upon. So fill your head with positive, sexy thoughts!

***

Thanks so much for hanging out with us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment