Friday, March 9, 2012



I'm thrilled to have my fellow Noble Romance author Sarah Ballance here today!
*
Thank you for inviting me here today! It's an honor to share the stage with you today. ;c)
What motivates Sarah Ballance the author? Why do you write?
 Girl, I have six kids—young ones, all 13 and under—and we homeschool. That means there's a lot of people in my house most days, and I swear I never finish *anything.* There's no end to the laundry, the dishes, the cleaning, schoolwork … *nothing* is ever finished. But a story? Yeah, I can finish that, and that feeling of accomplishment is the reason I write. I laugh about it, but it's absolutely true!
When did you know you were a writer? Was it always your destiny or did you stumble upon your craft by accident?
Total accident. I started copywriting several months after we had our fifth baby. One of my friends suggested I write a novel. My immediate reaction was to say I couldn't write fiction, but the thought started to bug me so I wrote one just to say I could. That first story was DOWN IN FLAMES and I sold it on the very first query. I've improved a lot since then, but it was an incredible (and astounding) experience!
What is your favorite genre  to write and why?
 I adore romantic suspense. The element of danger really raises the stakes for the characters, making everything hotter and more intense. I don't write explicit sex, but I do love thick romantic tension, and you can't beat suspense for that!
 Is there a particular genre you haven't tried but what like to? What is it and why?
I secretly want to write horror. But don't tell anyone. ;c) 
How did you get into eBook publishing?
When I queried my first story to Noble Romance, they released it in ebook format. A book contract can be super persuasive! LOL. (It'll be in print eventually—rumor has it they're working on their backlist.)
How many hours a day do you devote to writing? Do you have a set routine or do you write when the mood strikes?
I devote the morning, until about 10:00 a.m., to promotional activity, which can include setting up blogs and writing interviews. In theory, that leaves my after dinner hours free for writing, but it doesn't always work quite that way, LOL. Kids and chaos go hand in hand, and the combo isn't highly productive. ;c)
Is there a certain aspect of the story you begin with? Do you create the characters first or do you come up with the plot?
I get an idea—not even a plot, but a whim—and I start writing. From there, everything tends to fall into place, although I'm a bit of a panster. I love when things take an unexpected turn—it's an amazing feeling when my characters start making demands!
What did you do when you found out your first book had been contracted?
I didn't believe it. I thought writers were supposed to accumulate a huge pile of rejections first, so naturally I zeroed in on all the areas of the contract which gave them an "out," LOL. Like if they didn't take any steps toward publication after a year, the contract was null (or something—don't quote me on that). I lived in utter disbelief until the moment I saw it for sale at Noble Romance, and I can't say I believed it then, LOL. What an amazing moment, though!
Do you have any words of inspiration to aspiring authors? What advice would you offer a writer trying to publish?
Get a critique partner who will be honest with you about your work. NO ONE is perfect (even editors need editors!) so if your "critter" doesn't find room for improvement in your work, find someone who will. If you don't have your work thoroughly critiqued and edited in private, there are a great many readers who will be more than happy to call you out in public. Crits are GOOD! Relish them. ;c)
Tell us about your current release.

In UNFORGIVEN, my heroine comes home to a very unwelcome visitor: her ex, Gage, and his revolver, which he has pointed at her head. His brother was just murdered in what Gage believes to be a case of mistaken identity, and thanks to a nice set-up it appears Riley is the only one who could have pulled the trigger. But things aren't what they seem, and their reunion simply explodes from there. As for the identity of the killer? No one saw that coming!
Blurb: UNFORGIVEN
Riley Beckett's past just came back to haunt her . . . and this time, he's got a gun.
When Gage Lawton finds his brother shot dead on his back porch, every shred of evidence points to one person: Gage's former lover, Riley. He and she didn't part ways on good terms, and he's not planning to rekindle anything now--not when he's got a revolver pointed at her head and a finger on the trigger.

A year after Riley swore she and Gage were over, he returns in a hail of gunfire. One look into those achingly familiar blue eyes and she knows how wrong she was to let him go, but now far more than their heated past stands in the way. A twist of fate puts them in the crosshairs of a killer, leaving Riley with two slim options:  trust her greatest betrayer or face a murderer on her own.
 Do you have any upcoming projects in the works?
I sure do! TIDE OF LIES, the full length conclusion to my novella FAMILIAR LIGHT, releases April 2 from Noble Romance. Ahead of the new release, FAMILIAR LIGHT is just $1.50, a price exclusive to Noble. You can grab your copy here: https://www.nobleromance.com/Books/344/Familiar-Light
FAMILIAR LIGHT: Seven years of longing comes down to just one night.

Laney Kent returns to Barrier Shoals hoping to reunite with her first love, Bridger. She anticipates his reception might be chilly, but what she doesn't expect is to become the victim of a deadly obsession … or that this night with Bridger could be her last.

Bridger Jansen tangled a lot of sheets trying to forget about Laney, but his heart knew what the rest of him refused to admit: he could love no one else. He's determined not to forgive her for leaving him without explanation, but when he fails to protect her from a viscous attack, the person he can't forgive just might be himself.
*Available now for only $1.50 from Noble Romance*
Where can readers connect with you?

If anyone is inclined to join me on my blog, I'd like to let you know I offer a weekly giveaway for **email subscribers** only. Every week random.org chooses one winner, who receives their choice of a $10 gift certificate to Noble Romance or $5 to Amazon. The only way to enter is to subscribe, and you'll be automatically entered each week for as long as you remain a subscriber. You'll also be the first to find out about my many other giveaways, so I hope to see you there!

Thanks so much for hosting me, Ella. It's a pleasure to hang out with a fellow Noble Romance author and her awesome fans. ;c)

It was my pleasure. Stop back soon:)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for letting me through the front door today! ;c) (Hopefully I won't be required to sneak out the back, LOL.)

    Sarah Ballance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to hang out with us:)

      I just fixed your blurb. Don't know why it showed up in black type. Sorry about that.

      Ella

      Delete
    2. HA! No problem. My blog gets a mind of its own sometimes, too, LOL. I do appreciate your attention, though. ;c)

      Sarah Ballance

      Delete