Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Meet The Author... Sharon K. Owen


 

Today I'm pleased to welcome Sharon K. Owen to the mix.

 What motivates Sharon K Owen the author? Why do you write?

I love to create characters and put them in situations that intrigue, inspire and entertain me. Then, I write them down and hope they will have the same effect on my readers.
I write the kind of books I like to read. I always want to entertain my readers and make their reading experience a positive one. I always hope my readers enjoy the book and feel better after they read it.
When did you know you were a writer? Was it always your destiny or did you stumble upon your craft by accident?
I've always known I was a story teller and a creator of imaginary universes. From my first memories as a child, I created stories in which I was, of course, the star, the heroine, the rescuer. Later, I started writing the stories down but seldom shared them with anyone else. Eventually, I had the courage to put them out there in the universe for others to make a decision on their worthiness.
What is your favorite genre to write and why?
I am an avid reader and enjoy many genres. I like cozy mysteries, psychological thrillers, police/legal procedurals, young adult, romantic suspense, regencies, urban fantasie and paranormals. I enjoy character driven contemporary novels with witty dialogue and interesting plots. My favorite writers are Nora Roberts, Janet Evanovich, John Grisham and John Sandford.
How did you get into Ebook publishing?
A good friend of mine, Ann Summerville, published her novels as Ebooks and encouraged me to try it. It's been a very good experience for me.
How many hours a day do you devote to writing? Do you have a set routine or do you write when the mood strikes?
I don't have a set routine as for as the number of hours I spend or the number of pages I produce. Maybe I should. However, I tend to write at night (usually 2 am to 5 am) and in the late afternoon (4 pm to 7 pm). If the writing is really clicking along, I extend those times.
Tell us about the most intriguing character you've created.
Kate O'Donnell, the protagonist of my first novel Thicker Than Water (Brands Crossing Series), is one who especially intrigued me because she was such a complex character. A talented singer/songwriter/musician, she moves from Nashville at 18, hoping to establish a successful musical career without depending on financial or social assistance from her influential family back in Texas. When a family crisis arises, however, she doesn't hesitate to leave a promising career and romance in Nashville and return home to support her family.
Who is your favorite author? And, if given the opportunity to meet them, what would you ask them?
Nora Roberts. I actually did have the chance to meet her early in her career. I was too shy to ask her any questions. If I have the same opportunity again, I have a whole list of questions, starting with how she finds the time to write so many wonderful books each year.
What did you do when you found out your first book had been contracted?
I self-published my first book. When I finally was satisfied—after reading the third proof copy—I poured a glass of pino noir, spread some brie on a fancy cracker and scooped out a spoonful of Blue Bell Pistacio Almond ice cream. One I finished my treat, I crawled into bed and took a nap.
Has there been a person or influence in your life that has helped you reach your writing goals?
Many people have influenced me, beginning with my grandfather who was a natural story teller. Through the years I've been lucky to have many teachers and mentors who shared their knowledge and experience very generously. I've also been fortunate to belong to a wonderful writing-critique group, Trinity Writers Workshop. The friends I've made at TWW have been a constant source or support in my writing journey.
Do you have any words of inspiration to aspiring authors? What advice would you offer a writer trying to publish?
Read. Read. Read. The most important things for a writer is a love of books and the ability to tell a story. Everything else can be learned. I believe the most successful authors write about what they know and in a genre they enjoy reading. They should also take creative writing classes and join a good writing workshop.

Tell us about your current release.

Thicker Than Water (Brands Crossing Series) is the first in a series of contemporary romantic suspense novels set in Brands Crossing, a mythical community in North Texas. This series chronicles the lives of the Kincaids, a prominent family in this small town, and focuses on a mystery that extends back to the mid-eighteenth century and the young Texas Republic.

The second novel, Whatever Goes Around, will be published in March of 2012.

Blurb:
My first published novel, Thicker Than Water (Brands Crossing Series) was published in July of 2011.  As a child, KATE O'DONNELL spends summers at her grandparents' estate in Brands Crossing where she and her girl cousins battle make-believe monsters, rescue endangered victims and a save a mythical kingdom. At twenty-five Kate is a singer/songwriter living in Nashville and pursuing a promising relationship with computer game designer PHILLIP NORWOOD. There, her only battles are fought in Aidenne's Revenge, Phillip's online fantasy game based on her childhood adventures. With her grandfather's sudden death from injuries he sustained in a suspicious car crash, Kate is forced to make a choice. Will she remain in Nashville to focus on Phillip and her music career? Or will she move back to Brands Crossing and honor the promise she made to her grandfather that she would investigate the mystery surrounding his death? Family trumps career and romance and Kate heads back to Texas where the monsters, victims and endangered kingdoms are all too real. In an attempt to protect Kate from danger, Phillip joins her quest and helps her search for incriminating documents, investigate a centuries-old family feud and confront an anonymous rose-bearing admirer who stalks Kate in both real and virtual universes. Thicker Than Water is the first in a series of novels set in Brands Crossing, Texas. It chronicles the lives of the Kincaids, a prominent family in this mythical town, and focuses on a mystery that extends back to the mid-eighteenth century and the young Texas Republic.
My second novel, Whatever Goes Around (Brands Crossing Series) is scheduled for publication in March of 2012. CLAIRE KINCAID is the self-appointed fixer of all problems in her family. Despite her siblings' and cousins' beliefs that they are capable of managing their own lives, Claire knows they really need her guidance and offers it at every opportunity. When she discovers that sinister forces are disrupting her sister Madelaine's and her cousin Ann Marie's personal and professional lives, she doesn't hesitate to take steps to set things straight. Unfortuanately, she underestimates the enemies she confronts and unknowingly puts herself and her family in danger. Forced to rely on the help of family and friends, she has to reexamine her long-held belief that she always knows best.

Buy Link:

 Do you have any upcoming projects in the works?
 My second novel, Whatever Goes Around (Brands Crossing Series) is scheduled for publication in March of 2012.
Where can readers connect with you?
***
Thanks so much for joining us today.

No comments:

Post a Comment