Sunday, August 7, 2011

Meet The Author - India Masters



Today I'm pleased to introduce the talented India Masters to the blog today! She is a writing machine and you really have to check out her work!

What motivates India Masters the author? Why do you write?
Like most of us who write, is seems like I’m compelled to do it. Why else would anyone engage in a solitary undertaking that keeps you chained to a computer or wakes you in the middle of the night when you’ve had a weird dream or an idea that made you roll out of bed and write it down. I keep a pad and pencil on my nightstand for those times that I wake up from a dead sleep.
When did you know you were a writer? Was it always your destiny or did you stumble upon your craft by accident?
 As far as writing for profit, I’ve been playing with the notion since the early 90’s. But I started writing poetry when I was in middle school and I’ve always been a verbal story teller. Guess I get that from my grandfather.
How many hours a day do you devote to writing? Do you have a set routine or do you write when the mood strikes?
How many hours a day depends on how inspired I am. I write every day but I don’t always write well every day. If I’m having issues with a work in progress sometimes it’s best just to put it aside and log on to Netflix, ya know? I find if I try to force things, nothing works. I’ll go back and read it the next day and think…ugh, what crap. I also tend to skip from wip to wip when I’m having a bad day because maybe I’m just not feeling a particular piece on a particular day and if I open another file, that might be what works for me that day.
Who is your favorite author? And, if given the opportunity to meet them, what would you ask them?
Oh man, that’s such an unfair question because I love so many authors. Outside my genre, I’d say Janet Evanovich because she’s so funny. I never read a Plum book or a Metrogirl book that I’m not laughing out loud. I remember one time when I was laughing so loud my friend in the neighboring apartment knocked on the door and asked what was so funny. I love when a book can do that to me. When it provokes any strong emotion from me. What would I ask her? Probably technical stuff, like does she use an outline, does she plot out every detail? How to successfully use misdirection to up the ante.
Do you have any words of inspiration to aspiring authors? What advice would you offer a writer trying to publish?
Write, write, write and then write some more. There are myriad writer’s sites on the web that have wonderful articles on everything from point of view to how to prepare a manuscript. Read those articles and learn the technical aspects of writing fiction. Join a critique group or a local writer’s group so you can get feedback on what you’re doing right and wrong. Then find the companies you want to write for and make sure you know what they’re looking for, how they want you to format your submissions and do it that way, and make sure your manuscript is as clean and free of errors as possible – this is where having critique partners comes in handy. And never give up. If you’re compelled to write, keep writing.
Tell us about your current releases.
Eternal Soulmate, release date July 20, 2011 through Ellora’s Cave Publishing. Pirate’s Slave, release date July 26, 2011 through Loose Id.
Eternal Soulmate is a reissue of a book I wrote some time ago for a small press. It’s always been one of my favorites so when it came time to renew the contract, I decided to take back the rights and see if I could improve on it. I think I’ve done that…with the help of my amazing EC editor, Jillian Bell.
The book is about a unique species of vampire who have the ability to walk in the light and reproduce once they meet their soulmate.

Blurb: When Olivia Sheppard left the service, she had no idea what to do with her life. She never thought she’d wind up as head of security, and so much more, for trendy club owner and international mystery man Noah Lazarus. Breaking her rule of non-fraternization with the boss, Olivia and Noah begin a torrid affair.

Steamy sex with a hot man isn’t enough to win a woman like Olivia and Noah knows it. But he is compelled to win her. Unfortunately, he has a secret, one that may cost Olivia her life. What he doesn’t know is whether Olivia can love and accept him for who he is. Or whether he can keep her alive long enough to prove that love can last for all eternity. 

Publisher’s Note: This story was previously published elsewhere under the title Flirt, but has been revised and expanded for Ellora’s Cave. 

Pirate’s Slave is the third book, and probably final book, of the Across The Stars series published with Loose Id. This book is the story of Fyn Du-ket, a notorious pirate gone straight. Unfortunately for him, there are still a lot of people out there that are pissed off at him, one of which is the heroine of the book. She manages to take him hostage and is determined to treat him to a little of his own medicine. Until, that is, he’s able to turn the tables on her with the help of an old friend.

Blurb: Angry that he’d allowed a mere woman to take him hostage, Fyn Du-ket vows to turn the tables on his prim captor. As a skilled trainer of submissive slaves, he’d show her exactly how good it felt to be bad. Then he becomes a slave to love. 

 Do you have any upcoming projects in the works?
Too many to mention but the closest to being completed are a contemporary western, a hot historical western, and another previously released book that I’m overhauling.
Where can readers connect with you?
My web site is www.india-masters.com and my web master (my wonderful and talented sister) has finally gotten the guest book and blurb function up and running. Yay Sissy! Unfortunately, I’m not a real consistent blogger but as soon as I figure out how to use the feature, I’m going to give it a try. I can also be reached at india.masters@yahoo.com and I’m always happy to hear from my readers.
Thanks, Ella, for the opportunity and best of luck for your continued success.
***
It was my pleasure India and I have a feeling we'll be chatting real soon!
Ella

No comments:

Post a Comment