Friday, July 27, 2012

Meet the Author... Melissa Keir

Looking for the Hero Blog Hop?



Today I'm thrilled to have author Melissa Keir here today...

Thank you Ella for having me visit with you and your readers today.  I’m excited to share a bit about myself and my stories with you.
What motivates Melissa Keir the author? Why do you write? I write because of a driven need to share my stories with others.  At first I wrote blogs and online fan-fiction when my children were younger so that I could interact with others who shared a similar interest with me.  Then when I began to develop my own voice, I wanted to share parts of my life and feelings on growing older with others.  Now that I have grown children and more time, I am excited to share the stories that have been running around in my head with others. 
When did you know you were a writer? Was it always your destiny or did you stumble upon your craft by accident? I sort of stumbled upon being a writer.  I always wanted a career in medicine or teaching, something that would help others.  I think I knew I was a writer when I was in college.  I had young children and had gone back to college as an adult.  My teachers praised my writing.  They found it interesting and engaging.  Their acknowledgement of my work, forced me to extend my craft.  At first, I was writing poetry with a feminist mindset.  But poetry wasn’t enough words for me to show all that I wanted to tell people. 
Is there a particular genre you haven't tried but what like to? What is it and why? I would love to write paranormal romance but I haven’t tried it yet.  I think that I’m a bit fearful of it.  Many of my favorite authors are paranormal romance award winning writers.  I am nervous that my work wouldn’t measure up to theirs and so I don’t even try.  But with each book that I write, my confidence grows and I will write a paranormal story someday.
How did you get into eBook publishing? I saw a help wanted ad for a reviewer and was hired by Sizzling Hot Books as a book reviewer.  All the books were ebooks and while I loved reading so many books and writing my thoughts, I wanted more.  When a friend suggested that I try to get a job as an editor, I did.  I found a job with Midnight Magic Press which was a small publishing company that didn’t even have any time to open before they decided to close.  But it was while I was with them that I got my first taste of editing and my first book was written and accepted.  Unfortunately, when they closed I was back at page one, but I didn’t give up.  I was signed with two other publishing houses and my first two books were published.
How many hours a day do you devote to writing? Do you have a set routine or do you write when the mood strikes? As a full time elementary teacher, wife and mother, I don’t have a lot of time to devote to my writing.  I try to cram as much into the weekends and holidays.  Luckily I am getting close to my summer vacation so I will have much more time to write.  When I do have time to write, I like to get a few hundred or so words in as the muse strikes.  Some days are better than others but it depends on the distractions and the ideas in my head.
Who is your favorite author? And, if given the opportunity to meet them, what would you ask them? My favorite author often changes because I love so many books.  With that being said, I would love to meet any of my favorites from Laurell K. Hamilton to Jeannie Frost to Nora Roberts.  The biggest thing that I would ask them is about marketing.  I find that writing the stories comes easier for me than the time I put into marketing my story and wish that there was a magic formula for success.  Maybe more experienced authors could help me.
What did you do when you found out your first book had been contracted? I know it sounds silly but even today after four books being published, each time I find out that I’ve been offered a contract, I jump up and down and do a happy dance in the kitchen.
Has there been a person or influence in your life that has helped you reach your writing goals? Liz Crowe has been a huge influence in my life.  I read her stories and she gave me the encouragement to keep trying to get published and has been supportive of my books.  I couldn’t have done it without her.  I do believe I would have given up.
Describe your perfect hero… one you've read or one you've created. I’m a sucker for a strong man who is able to physically take care of a strong woman.  I want a man who isn’t afraid of women who speak their mind.  I think some of my favorite heroes are guys who have a nice body, a good sense of humor and can kick butt. 


Tell us about your current release.
My current release titled-- Protecting His Wolfe-- plays loosely with the fairy tale of The Big Bad Wolfe and the Three Little Pigs.  In my story the Piggs are three brothers who own a detective agency who have to protect a woman named Betsie Wolfe who happened upon a drug deal and now is targeted for murder.


Betsie Wolfe was a small town girl who left her cozy little life for a job in the big city, but she never expected to become a witness to a murder or face vicious threats. Detective Jonah Pigg was immediately attracted to Betsie’s lavender eyes and small frame huddled in the gray wool blanket when he arrived on the scene of the murder. When threats on her life begin, he takes her into his home under the protection of the three Pigg’s who own the Pigg Agency. It will take all his detective work to keep her safe from the killer. Passion has a way of igniting when people are under stressful situations and lust leads Betsie and Jonah into each other’s arms. But is their relationship only a matter of desire or is it something more?
Buy Link:

 Do you have any upcoming projects in the works?
    I am working on another book in the Wilder Sister series. The series begins with Syndie’s story and continues in Beach Desires with Stacey’s story.  Now I’m telling the tale of a third sister.
Where can readers connect with you?
I have a variety of ways that readers can keep in touch with me.  My website has contests and wonderful guest spots at www.melissakeir.com.
You can also connect with me on Facebook and Twitter:
email: melissaakeir@hotmail.com
 ***
Melissa Keir has always wanted to be an author when she wasn’t hoping for a career as a race car driver.  Her love of books was instilled by her mother and grandparents who were avid readers. She’d often sneak books away from them so that she could fantasize about those strong alpha males and plucky heroines.  In middle school and high school, Melissa used to write sappy love poems and shared them with her friends and still has those poems today! In college her writing changed to sarcastic musings on life as well as poems with a modern twist on fairy tales and won awards for her writing. You can find many of these musings along with her latest releases on her website and blog.   
As a writer, Melissa likes to keep current on topics of interest in the world of writing.  She’s a member of the Romance Writers of America and is always interested in improving her writing through classes and seminars.  Her current projects include her books, Forever Love in the “Love, Again” anthology, Second Time’s the Charm, and Beach Desires.  She has a new release at Rebel Ink Press titled Protecting His Wolfe. She guarantees that she isn’t done yet.  J
Melissa doesn’t believe in down time.  She’s always keeping busy.  Melissa is a wife and mother, an elementary school teacher, a book reviewer, an editor for a publishing company as well as an author. Her home blends two families and is a lot like the Brady Bunch, without Alice- a large grocery bill, tons of dirty dishes and a mound of laundry. She loves to write stories that feature happy endings and is often seen plotting her next story.
Melissa loves hearing from readers!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for having me over to visit today! :) I enjoy getting to meet new readers and always love to hang out with friends!

    ReplyDelete