Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Meet Tammy Maas...


I'm pleased to welcome Tammy Maas today...

Tammy Maas is a writer who moonlights as a domestic Goddess. Her debut Novella, A Complicated Life in a Small Town, was published on 2-27-2012. Tammy ghost writes for several online clients. She was published by Oatmeal Studios, and was a writer/photographer for Houston County News. Check out her blog at: http://animaasity.weebly.com.
***
 What motivates Tammy Maas the author? Why do you write?


I don’t write to make money or because I think it will make me famous, I write because it gives me satisfaction at the end of the day that I have used my God-given talents to the fullest. I enjoy writing and people enjoy reading my work so it’s a win-win situation for me.
When did you know you were a writer? Was it always your destiny or did you stumble upon your craft by accident?
I fell in love with writing in the 3rd grade and I knew that someday I would write a book. But life gets in the way sometimes and food and earning a living become a bigger priority than dreams or what we would really like to do. Thankfully my husband believes in me and suggested I stay home and write on a full-time basis. I have never been happier. 
What is your favorite genre to write and why?
My favorite genre is mystery. I’m the type of person that watches a movie or reads a book and figures out right away how the story will end. When I write I make sure others like me will not be able to prematurely figure out the ending.
How many hours a day do you devote to writing? Do you have a set routine or do you write when the mood strikes?
The hours a day I spend writing are nothing compare to the hours per day that I spend researching or going over scenarios in my mind. Once I have it straight in my head, then I sit down to write. But I have to make sure my to-do list completed when I sit down as when I start writing it’s difficult for me to stop. It consumes me until everything I have to say is safely inside my laptop. Some days I work 4-5 hours on a book and other days I won’t write at all.
But I do have a blog http://animaasity.weebly.com and I write a blog post every day.
Is there a certain aspect of the story you begin with? Do you create the characters first or do you come up with the plot?
I typically like to have a plot before I have characters. Sometimes I will write different pieces and will then insert them into the story when it’s time.
Tell us about the most intriguing character you've created.
The character in my debut novella, A Complicated Life in a Small Town, is morbidly obese, bedridden and too big to be moved. She has Prader-Willi Syndrome which is a genetic disease that causes people to never feel full. She also has some mental issues. 
What did you do when you found out your first book had been contracted?
I hugged my dog and then called my husband as I was dancing around the kitchen.
Has there been a person or influence in your life that has helped you reach your writing goals?
My husband is my rock! He pushes me to write and gives me the encouragement I need. Following dreams is not always an easy task, but my husband has given me the time, space and support necessary to pull it off.
Do you have any words of inspiration to aspiring authors? What advice would you offer a writer trying to publish?
    Never give up and don’t believe everything you hear. At 10pm on a Saturday night I sent my manuscript to 8 publishers. Within 30 minutes I had a reply and within 10 days I had a contract. It may take some people years to get published but it doesn’t take everyone that long.
Tell us about your current release.

My debut novella is: A Complicated Life in a Small Town and it was released on 2/27/2012. The book is fiction and a mystery sprinkled with romance and humor. The story takes place in Monticello, Iowa.
The road to hell really is paved with good intentions. Bitter that she was robbed of her childhood, at age eighteen, Lydia Lawson severed all communication ties with her alcoholic parents. Her father commits suicide one year after she leaves home. Twenty-three years later she receives word that her mother is dead and that she has inherited more than just the family home. Lily, a twenty-one-year-old, morbidly obese half-sister with Prader-Willi Syndrome, is found in the basement, too big to move out of the home. Lydia sets out on a life-changing journey trying to help Lily, trying to find Lily s father and trying to find herself. In the interim, she falls in love with Tommy Porter who remains with her right up to the climatic, mind-blowing reveal at the end. 
 Do you have any upcoming projects in the works?
Yes! I am working on the sequel to A Complicated Life in a Small Town.
Where can readers connect with you?
      Facebook: Tammy Maas
  Twitter: @animaasity
     Email: Tammy.maas@Yahoo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment