Monday, February 13, 2012

Meet The Author ... Anne Holly

If you are looking for the With Love Valentine Blog Hop Post Please Click Here.



Today we have author Anne Holly joining us. She's here to talk about her new Valentine's Day themed release...

 What motivates Anne Holly the author? Why do you write?

It might sound cliché, but I honestly write because I have to. I’ve written or told stories since I was a child, because I have an over-active imagination. It’s fun, and relaxing, and it’s something I do for myself. Now, as to why I publish… Sometimes, not even I can explain why I go through that stage, but I think it’s mainly because I felt ready to start sharing the things I write. I love the romance community, and I am pleased to give something back, be it ever so humble.
When did you know you were a writer? Was it always your destiny or did you stumble upon your craft by accident?
 I used to just write for fun, and didn’t think much of it. It was a hobby, and my favourite type of school assignments. It wasn’t until the eighth grade, when an English teacher who was also an author, suggested to me that I start thinking seriously about it. Before then, I don’t think I had any idea of publishing what I wrote. Teachers can change lives! What a wonderful thing.
What is your favorite genre to write and why?
 I love contemporary romance as a reader and as a writer, because I find those stories resonate most with me. My erotic romance is more or less an extension of my contemporary writing, in that it deals with realistic lives – but a bit naughtier than my sensual works, which is a lot of fun. But writing in all sorts of genres can be great. Paranormal is fantastic for the imagination, and it’s good to be released from the everyday once in a while.
How did you get into eBook publishing?
 Mostly because I wasn’t sure if I wanted to take the years it generally takes to find a reliable agent, especially since there aren’t many agents handling romance writers in Canada at the moment. Most ebook publishers don’t require agents, so once I discovered that, I was off! I love paperbacks, as well, but ebooks offers an alternative to the traditional route, and I appreciate the option.
How many hours a day do you devote to writing? Do you have a set routine or do you write when the mood strikes?
 I don’t really have a set amount of time. I try to do my 1k of fresh writing, which is about 40 minutes to an hour, plus whatever time I need to devote to editing or outlining at the time. Because I have a three year old, I write whenever I get the chance, but after he goes to bed or before he wakes up, especially the latter, are my favourite windows of opportunity.
Tell us about the most intriguing character you've created.
 This is a hard question! I try to make them all compelling or interesting. But, as a reader, I’d have to say there are a couple heroes that really stand out and one heroine who I still find intriguing, even after writing them. My favourite would likely be Kale, my hero from Unwrapping Scrooge. He marches to his own drum, which I appreciate, and he’s a writer – I love books with writers in them!
Who is your favorite author? And, if given the opportunity to meet them, what would you ask them?
My favourite romance writer is LaVyrle Spencer. It’s because of her that I started writing romance, actually. Her stories just glow. It’s hard to explain that, but there’s an inner warmth that seems to welcome me in, and I love that. I become so emotionally connected to her books. If I ever met her, I might not be able to say anything, I admit, but if I found my courage I’d love to know what it was like for her when she was starting out, before she got famous. It’s helpful to remember that all the Big Writers were Little Writers at one point, and I’d be inspired to hear her version.
What did you do when you found out your first book had been contracted?
I just sat there for a while. Then I started digging even more into the publisher, I admit. I did research before submitting, but once it became real I wanted to know who I was dealing with before I signed anything. I confess there was an element of, “Perhaps they accepted me because they aren’t very good,” but I found nothing alarming, and they seemed to be a healthy young publisher, so I went with it. I’m glad I found the bravery to believe it was happening. I seriously expected rejection.
Once I got over all that, though, I nearly busted with happiness, naturally. It was a lifelong dream-come-true.
Has there been a person or influence in your life that has helped you reach your writing goals?
 I can’t give enough credit to my publishers, editors and fellow writers. Without them, I might have just published that one novel and left it at that, which was the original plan – or, rather, I didn’t think beyond that one book. It’s because of the friendly romance community that I stuck with it.
Do you have any words of inspiration to aspiring authors? What advice would you offer a writer trying to publish?
 Write, write, write. Bum in seat, hands on keyboard (or pen). Just write. You might not have anything you’re happy with until you have a dozen novels done, so just keep practicing. Also, read as much as you can. All writers need to be very well read. As to writers starting out in publishing, the best advice I can offer is research the people to whom you will be entrusting your work. Don’t let gratitude over an acceptance cloud your judgment. Make sure you’re publishing with someone trustworthy and of good quality. You owe your book that.
Tell us about your current release.

The book I am promoting this month is an erotic romantic comedy, V-Day, which is the Valentine’s Day installment in my Rebel Ink Press holiday series.
V-Day
It all started with a serenade…

A family like Daniel’s and the solitary pursuit of musical excellence is enough to make a young man crazy. No wonder all Daniel Vouks dreams of is getting away. He knows his violin will take him places in life, but the only place he really wants to be is next door. He’s been in love with his neighbor since he was fourteen, but can he ever make her see him as more than just a lovesick kid?
V-Day is the story of a Valentine's Day weekend Daniel fears he may regret, but will never, ever forget.
Buy Link:
For more information about my Valentine’s Day erotic romantic comedy, V-Day, please see my holiday stories website: http://annehollyholiday.webs.com/valentinesdaytales.htm
Do you have any upcoming projects in the works?
 This summer, Pink Petal Books will release my second contemporary romance novel, Textbook Romance, in ebook, with a paperback coming after in the fall. It centers around two single parents connected through a university – one willing to take a chance and make the leap of faith, and one completely anti-romance. She’s even written a book on why romance is killing us!
Where can readers connect with you?
 I have a blog and a website, but I’m most present on Facebook and Twitter. I love to hear from writers, readers, and all varieties of book people!
*
Anne Holly is a Canadian writer of romance and erotic-romance, as well as a mother and teacher. You may visit Anne at her blog or website, or find her on GoodReadsFacebook and Twitter  (@anneholly2010). Sign up for her newsletter here. Email: anneholly2010@gmail.com.

Thanks so much for stopping by!




No comments:

Post a Comment