Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Meet The Author - Felicia Rogers



To start the next three days of talented authors off is Felicia Rogers...

 What motivates Felicia Rogers, the author? Why do you write?
    What motivates me to write is just the pure enjoyment of doing so.  I really do like putting a story down on paper.  Just sitting down with paper and pen and letting words flow and seeing where they take you is a wonderful feeling.

When did you know you were a writer? Was it always your destiny or did you stumble upon your craft by accident?
     I can’t pick a time that I can say I “knew” I was a writer.  I definitely stumbled upon the craft by accident.  I’ve always been an avid reader and yes, I’ve written a few short stories for fun when I was growing up but I never once thought of becoming a writer.  Since I’m a stay-at-home mom and I wanted something of my own AND I love to read, I thought why not try to write.  In the beginning the plan was to write a story with my cousin but when she had no time to help, I found myself finishing my first manuscript on my own.  So I definitely stumbled into it.

How did you get into eBook publishing?
   Well like said before I wanted to write a novel with my cousin but she was unable so I finished that manuscript myself, then I sent it out to several agents and publishers but it never made it past the first stages.  Disgruntled and looking for new ways to get my work out there, I stumbled across a forum post for Solstice Publishing’s Celebrate the Season contest.  I was waiting to hear from a publisher on my manuscript at the time so I set all my other ideas aside and started work on a submission.  In two weeks I had written a novella of about 13,000 words and submitted it for the contest.  Now all I had to do was cross my fingers and wait.
Within a few weeks I discovered I was one of five winners and my novella was going to be published!  This gave me renewed hope that anything was possible. 

Is there a certain aspect of the story you begin with? Do you create the characters first or do you come up with the plot?
    In general when starting a story I create the main characters first.  Then the plot emerges around the two lead characters.  I add supporting characters as I go along.
Tell us about the most intriguing character you've created.
     The most intriguing character I’ve created has to be Chase.  He is a Shapeshifter from my YA paranormal romance novel, The Key.  He is a senior in high school, protective, nice looking, and drives an ugly truck.  He is the ultimate romantic.
A couple of reviewers have commented on his “outdated” language.  They claim he sounds like a young man from the sixties.  When I read this I just smile.  I guess you could say I wrote his dialogue from the perspective of how a mother would like to hear a young man talk to their daughter.
What did you do when you found out your first book had been contracted?
  When I found out my first novella was to be published I jumped up and down, spun in a circle, and screamed!  I guess you could say I was a tad excited.
Do you have any words of inspiration to aspiring authors? What advice would you offer a writer trying to publish?
 Every time I’m asked to give advice to new or aspiring authors I always say the same thing, don’t give up!  Patience (although I have a limited supply myself) is the name of the game.  I’ve often heard it said this is not a race but a marathon.

Tell us about your current release.
My current release is, There Your Heart Will Be Also, a historical suspense with inspirational overtones.

Blurb:
Only daughter of an English lord, Sarra of Greenbriar, is used to getting her way. So when her father passes and the King begins sending suitors, she feels justified in taking matters into her own hands. Through a series of harmless pranks, Sarra works to keep the potential husbands at bay.

Cedric MacNeil is a Scotsman that has lost it all. Death claimed his parents and jealousy claimed his entitled position as Laird of his clan. Since his mother was a familiar of the English court, he leaves his native land and heads to England to fight on behalf of the English King. Tournaments are won, earning honor and glory for the crown. Cedric’s reward is the opportunity to gain what he wants most in this life, land.

But as he gets to know Sarra, he realizes he might get more than he bargained for.
Buy Link:
 Do you have any upcoming projects in the works?
     Actually I do have several upcoming projects.  I’m currently editing a Chick-Lit book which will be released by Astraea Press in the next month or so.  Then after the Chick-Lit, I will be working on my editing next Contemporary Inspirational Romance.
Where can readers connect with you?

***
Thanks for joining us today.
Ella

No comments:

Post a Comment